Almost Turkish Recipes

Spinach Stem Salad (Ispanak Kökü Salatası)
























After using spinach leaves in various dishes (you can find some here) or boreks (and here), saving the stems for other dishes and  salads is very common. There are many ways of cooking with spinach stems and here I will be sharing the most common--and healthy, if you ask me--two ways of making salads. Leaves? I used them in a not-so-healthy way and made spinach mushroom etouffee, inspired by the menu of YATS restaurant in Indy!  


Salad #1 Spinach stem salad with olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic

spinach stems (use as many bunches or pounds as you wish or you have in hand)
olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
lemon juice or vinegar of your choice
salt

-Trim the stems so that they will remain intact.
-Wash the stems really really well.
-Steam stems in a basket over boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes until wilted but not soggy. Blanch in cold water. Rinse.
-Place them on a plate and sprinkle with minced garlic, olive oil, lemon juice or vinegar, and salt. Dress to your taste



Salad #2 Spinach stem salad with yogurt

2 bunches of spinach stems (or use as many bunches or pounds as you wish or you have in hand)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 cup of plain yogurt
1-2 tsp olive oil
salt
pepper

-Trim the stems so that they will remain intact.
-Wash the stems really really well.
-Steam stems in a basket over boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes until wilted but not soggy. Blanch in cold water. Rinse.
-In a broad pan heat olive oil.
-Add onion and garlic and stir until soft for ~5 minutes.
-Add steamed stems and stir until heated for 1-2 minutes.
-Add salt and pepper.
-Serve with a gallop of yogurt, or even better with garlicy yougurt (1 small clove of garlic minced well and mixed with yogurt) and a slice of crusty bread. Perfect lunch!

12 comments:

  1. You're back!! Finally. Looks yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:11 AM

    Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this recipe before and I think it will be nice try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:53 PM

    Spinach Stem Salad a different salad.thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the concept of turkish dish. I was trying to find Best Simple Recipes and eventually came here. thanks for your inspirational recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow…this sound so good. I like the idea that add yogurt, should have very nice flavor. But probably I will try to deep fry or bake the onion and garlic so it is crispy. I like some crispy things in salad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. bu salata çok leziz olmuş bence eline sağlık.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Burcu,

    I love reading your blog, and am very happy that you’re doing what you do… teaching people to cook with healthy ingredients is so important in fostering a healthy life and more importantly a healthy future. Today I am contacting you because I too am trying to do my part in getting people to eat and live healthier. In 2008 I set on a quest to look for the ideal cooking pot, one that would give me all the nutrients from the food being cooked without adding its own ingredients or contaminants. It was a personal happening that led me to do this and all my research pointed out in one direction -- Pure Clay. After several years of research and travel I set out to make my line of pure clay cooking pots and their made in the USA. I had benefited so much from cooking in these pots that I had to share it with the world.

    We choose to keep our raw material pure because the health benefits are overwhelming this way and greatly surpass that of cookware made from other kinds of manufactured clay like ceramic etc. I have come to read and love your blog greatly and would like you to consider taking part in our Affiliate Program so we can together promote this extremely healthy way of cooking to all your readers. You can find all the information about our cookware at miriamsearthencookware dot com or PureClayCookware dot com and sign up for the affiliate program by clicking on the affiliate tab on top.

    And oh by the way we’re giving out pots to those who sign up early and the list is quickly filling up, I really hope you can be a part of it. We need your help in bringing back to life this beautiful, healthy, extremely eco-friendly method of cooking, it goes so well with your theme of helping people eat healthy, so do consider joining us.

    Good luck with your blog.
    Miriam Kattumuri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your awesome blog. Thank you. Thank you!
    I'm an American living in Turkey, and I love the food. When I ask my friends & neighbors to teach me some of my favorite dishes, we have fun, but I can't say that I really learn how to make the food :) I'm so thankful for your blog and everyone is always impressed when I use your recipes. I've directed so many other ex-pat friends to your site!
    Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both salads look delicious but I will make the one with garlic yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. salad its my fav. thanks for reciepe :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. that would be nice for tang and for health thanks

    ReplyDelete